• 3”- 5” 100% Pure Dehydrated Smelt Fish (NOT ground OR processed) with NO fillers.
• loaded with healthy nutrients, but also are low in mercury. Finest Fish
• Rich in Protein, Vitamin D & B12, Omega 3 and 6 which helps their skin and fur.
• All-natural, Preservative-free, Additive-free
• Makes a delicious reward
• Made by Preen Pets in the U.S.A.
Smelts are an important winter catch in the saltwater mouths of rivers in New England and the Maritime Provinces of Canada. Fishermen would historically go to customary locations over the ice using horses and sleighs. Smelt taken out of the cold saltwater were preferred to those taken in warm water. The fish did not command a high price on the market, but provided a source of supplemental income due to their abundance. The smelts were “flash frozen” simply by leaving them on the ice and then sold to fish buyers who came down the rivers.
In present day, smelts are fished both commercially using nets at sea, and for recreation by hand-netting them or spearing or angling them through holes in river ice. They are often the target fish of small ‘fishing shack’ villages that spring up along frozen rivers. Typical ways of preparing them include pan-frying in flour and butter, or deep-frying in batter, and they are sometimes cooked directly out of the water over small stoves in the shacks.